Free readability tools to check for Reading Levels, Reading Assessment, and Reading Grade Levels.
[ HOME ]
Check Your Readability:
Check Text Readability NOW
Free Readability Calculators
Learn about Readability Formulas:
Flesch Reading Formula
The Fry Graph
[ View All ]
[ View All Articles]
[ View All Articles]
English Writing Products:
Write for Us
(I also run a popular website to find freelance writing jobs)
Why the Education Industry Needs Readability Formulas
Right from their inception in the late 1940s, readability formulas revolutionized the writing style of everyone. Readability formulas affect every industry because of their all-appealing premise. These formulas make documents or text readable for the intended audience. Every industry has a target audience when it prepares any kind of text. Such is the case with the academic sector which targets students and teachers.
Using readability formulas in the educational sector has many benefits. The most prominent ones include:
1. The primary role of the education sector is to distill good education to students at different grade levels. Written text in the form of textbooks, journals, literature and so on, forms the backbone of a good education system. A good text forms the basis of a good learning experience for students. The definition of a good text includes its readability aspect, i.e., the text should be reader-friendly and should neither be too difficult nor too easy to read. It should be easy enough to comprehend and difficult enough to contribute to students academic development. Readability formulas help assess and develop textbooks and other written material for the exact grade level. For instance, if youve prepared textbooks for third grade level students and the appropriate readability formula tells you the textbooks are for the fifth grade level, its better to revise the text for easier reading.
2. Like students, teachers need text that is readable for the grade level of students they are teaching. If the teacher cant understand the text, how can we expect students to comprehend the text as well? The appropriate readability formula ensures teachers know beforehand if they can comprehend the text and teach the lessons to their students.
3. A readable text is easier to read, and thereby, enhances the chance of making a boring subject interesting to students. A text written in plain English produces greater comprehension, retention, reading speed, and perseverance to read the text.
4. The academic sector saves precious dollars by using readability formulas for all texts. Using readability formulas helps to avoid repeated revisions of the text due to difficulty faced by students in deciphering the text. The time and money can be directed towards beneficial projects for students and improve the overall learning experience.
5. Readability formulas have helped adult classes as well. Unlike children and teenage students, its not easy to sustain adults interests in reading. Unless adult students are provided with easier textbooks to read, they are more likely to leave the studies midway. Using readability formulas on adult-level texts ensures these grade-level students can comprehend and learn what they are reading.