Free readability tools to check for Reading Levels, Reading Assessment, and Reading Grade Levels.
[ HOME ]
Check Your Readability:
Check Text Readability NOW
Free Readability Calculators
Learn about Readability Formulas:
Flesch Reading Formula
The Fry Graph
[ View All ]
[ View All Articles]
[ View All Articles]
English Writing Products:
Write for Us
(I also run a popular website to find freelance writing jobs)
Why Use Readability Formulas?
Despite their much-criticized shortcomings, many organizations consider readability formulas an important tool to evaluate the readability of text. Here are reasons why you should use readability formulas in your organization:
1. Most Americans have limited reading ability, which means their reading grade-level balances between average and poor. It makes sense to prepare text in plain English if your readers have limited reading capabilities. How do you determine if your text is readable from your readers point of view? Simple. Use readability formulas.
2. If the text is not readable, the purpose of writing it in the first place gets defeated. For instance, lets assume youve written an instruction manual for your employees. If your employees cannot read this manual, they will never understand the true meaning of its contents; this will adversely impact their productivity. Using readability formulas can prevent such a scenario and tell you beforehand if your text is of any value to your employees.
3. Readability formulas help you to prepare a readable text. In other words, these formulas can save you time and money that you might have wasted in writing a complicated document, which is not useful for the target audience.
4. Just imagine how frustrated your target audience feels trying to read an ill-prepared document. Studies show that enforcing difficult text can have adverse effects on the overall mood and psychology of your customers. They may feel confused by a clumsily prepared text and opt for another provider.
5. Preparing text costs money. If you produce an unreadable text, you are increasing your organizations operating costs. By using readability formulas, you are almost 80% sure that your readers find your text useful; thereby, keeping your costs down.
6. Most reputable word-processors, like MS-Word, have a built-in readability formula feature that helps you to assess the readability of a document. If you can gain such a useful insight into the document without manually calculating the readability, why wont you use it?